Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Herb of Creativity - A Winter Depression Solution

St. John's Wort A Winter Depression Solution

Winter can be tough; less work, more time indoors, less sun, cold and money can often be tight.  All these different factors that winter brings can be overwhelming and cause depression, anxiety and a myriad of other mental disabilities.  There are many ways to deal with the winter blues, but one of my favorite time proven methods of improving mental health is St. John's Wort.  I take St. John's Wort during the winter to stimulate creativity and to help organize my thoughts and put them motion.

The first time I tried St. John's Wort I was suffering from the heaviest depression I had ever experienced,  I had been hitchhiking the country for 2 years and when I started to setts down and make a home it was not an entirely pleasurable experience to say the least. I had been studying herbalism during my travels and decided to give St. John's Wort a try.  Within 1 hour of taking St. John's Wort I was inspired to start writing poetry, I hadn't been inspired to do such a thing in such a long time.  I continued to take it everyday for 3 months during and after that time my depression vanished.   Now that I am older I still take St. John's Wort to inspire creativity during the winter months as it is not easy for me to keep myself occupied for hours at a time.

Don't take my word for it though, clinical studies have shown St. John's Wort is as powerful as leading antidepressants at relieving mild to moderate depression.  For severe depression studies suggest that St. John's Wort is as ineffective as leading antidepressants, neither appear to have a strong effect on this kind of depression.  I would suggest that improving diet by intaking less sugar and caffeine as well as other factors, as well as increased exercise (even just a brief daily walk outside), and mental training, in conjunction with St. John's Wort would inspire creativity in even severe depression, although I can not prove this, it's just intuition. 

Beyond clinical studies St' John's Wort has been in use for 1000's of years and is very well known for it's effects.   Dr. Jonathan Zuess, in his book, “The Natural Prozac Program,” states:
 “In the crumbling pages of ancient texts on healing, hidden amongst the dusty basement shelves of a neglected Old World library, there are stories of a flower whose tears are magical.”
Even the slightest scent of St. John's Wort was said to scare off evil spirits.  Although the terminology has changed over time there is no doubt in my mind that St. John's Wort is a powerful medicinal herb that has helped me overcome my depression (evil spirits) by inspiring me to express myself creatively. 

St. John's Wort is a medicinal herb that can inspire  creativity within yourself, which enables YOU to overcome mental disorders. I do not suggest that it directly cures depression.  
______________________________________________________

Disclaimer- Do not take St. John's Wort with antidepressants or if you are taking any medications ask your doctor for his or her permission before taking any herb classified as medicinal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment